Horticulturist/Master Gardener needed for our client’s highly manicured 15-acre estate in Montecito, CA. We have worked with this family in the past, they have a reputation for being wonderful employers, many of their estate team members have been with them for decades, they are kind, professional, and generous. This will be a particularly amazing opportunity for anyone who is looking for their next (and quite possibly their last!) long-term position. The family will consider candidates from anywhere in the United States, as long as they have experience with California’s Central Coast climate. They are looking for best, most qualified candidates in the country, therefore they will only give consideration to candidates who have longevity and past success working as a Horticulturist/Master Gardener on private estates.
This is a newly created position and offers the opportunity for the successful candidate to build their own program and team.
- Administration and supervision of all landscape and hardscape aspects for 15-acre estate, which includes but not limited to:
- Planting, maintenance, irrigation, and fertilization of garden beds and containers
- Care of annuals and perennials
- Pruning, mulching, watering of trees, shrubs, and vines, including perimeter plantings
- Formal hedge maintenance
- Care for historic Live Oaks
- Pasture grasses
- Water features
- Interior orangerie
- Garden renovations and bed amendment
- Planting, transplanting, and propagation of plant material
- Maintain organic vegetable garden and herb garden
- Operation and utilization of basic landscape tools (hedge trimmers, blowers, pruners, spades, etc.)
- Operation of small machinery as necessary (golf cart, Bobcat, mowers, chipper, tractor, cultivator, tiller, etc.)
- Record keeping and database updates
- Ability to manage a team of 6-8 full-time gardeners and other landscape contractors/vendors
- Knowledge of Central Coast, CA climate and Mediterranean garden varieties
- Ability to perform general maintenance-irrigation repairs, etc.
- Knowledge of safe use and storage of fertilizers and other chemicals
- Ability to act in a professional manner at all times
- Must enjoy working with Principals and estate manager to plan and develop new projects
- Artistic talent and desire to lead team in the pursuit of achieving a stunning landscape for the clients
- Must have related experience as a skilled Horticulturist/Master Gardener on a private estate
- Must have some level of degree in formal horticultural/gardening education
- Must be able to clearly communicate in English, written and verbal. Spanish speaker would be a great plus.
- Able to work legally in the United States
- Willingness to submit to an in-depth background investigation, after a conditional employment offer has been made
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Able to work well in a team environment and have a very positive attitude!
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs, bend, stretch, stand for extended periods of time, climb
stairs, reach, twist, sit, walk, and/or run
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k w/match
- PTO- 10 days
- Discretionary bonus
- Relocation assistance, if required