A San Francisco family has a full-time position open in their household to care for their 2-year-old and newborn and perform light household duties. The Principals are looking for an individual who truly respects and honors children as capable and competent individuals and who will continually look for ways to foster learning through play, investigation, inquiry, and exploration both indoors and outdoors. Demonstrating a deep sense of accountability and professionalism, a lifetime love of learning, and interest in children and early childhood education will be essential attributes for someone in this role.
Our client hopes to meet candidates who can make a long-term commitment and who view the role as an important step in growing their career. The Principals equally share in raising the children, both have Ph.D.’s, and enjoy conversations about the life, the world, and hope the right candidate will find their spacious home in Russian Hill with a generous backyard and access to nearby parks a happy, cheerful, intellectually interesting place to work.
- Monday through Friday
- 7:30am – 3/4:30p
- Start Date: ASAP
- Location: Russian Hill, San Francisco
- Local candidates only, please
- Caregiver for a 2-year-old and newborn
- Organize daily activities including time outdoors, craft making, and visits to local museums—the Principals have memberships to The Exploratorium, The Cal Academy of Sciences, The Randall Museum, The Bay Area Discovery Museum, and National Park (useful for visiting the ships at the Hyde St. Pier). The family will provide access to a vehicle for activities and can assist in watching one of the children depending on planned activities
- When not out and about, engage and play with the children. The family loves to read and hopes to find a candidate with a similar mindset who will facilitate reading sessions several times per day. They also minimize their own use of phones and tablets when they are around the children and do not have a TV or let them use phones or tablets
- Put the children down for naps and prepare fresh, organic, and creative meals (children only)
- Wash, fold, and organize children’s laundry
- Consult and update a shared family calendar for children’s activities
- Assist the Principals in identifying and planning future activities such as school functions, summer camps, and birthday parties
Primary Household Responsibilities:
- Run occasional errands such as grocery shopping, going to the post office, or picking up prescriptions
- Taking inventory and stocking household items (toilet paper, paper towels, diapers, wipes, shampoo, etc.)
- Washing/loading the dishes into the dishwasher and keeping kitchen tidy (wiping down kitchen counters and light vacuuming)
- Change and wash bed and bath linens for the house weekly
- Light tidying and cleaning of the children’s rooms and common areas
- Must be able to make a long-term commitment
- A minimum of 3 years of recent, long-term experience in education or work with children. Candidates with advanced degrees preferred
- Excellent English reading, writing, and speaking skills. A writing sample will be required for this position.
- Excellent references from past employers
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- A love for the outdoors and nature is a plus. The 2-year-old is enrolled in a 2-day-week forest school.
- Absolutely trustworthy with the utmost respect for the privacy of Principals’ home and family
- Can legally work in the United States
- Excellent hourly rate | DOE
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation
- Paid sick days | holidays
- Healthcare compensation
- Monthly allowance for buying personal books