Washington, D.C. family of four, two young children, has just begun a search for their first private chef. The chef who is hired will work a full-time, five day per week, schedule that will change on occasion, based on the family’s travel and entertaining needs. Candidates must have a history of success in private homes and possess stellar references from past employers. Chefs who are highly-professional, friendly, and able to deliver excellent service, while remaining unobtrusive at all times, will be considered for this very special opportunity.
In addition to to having 5+ years of high-profile, in-home, cooking experience, chefs must also have reached at least sous chef level in a nationally recognized luxury restaurant.
The family loves a variety of cuisines, American, all Asian, Indian, Mexican, etc. and hopes to hire a chef who is passionate about using organic, local, and sustainable ingredients, while also finding ways to prepare their favorite dishes in a healthful way. Chefs with a background, or strong interest, in nutrition are strongly encouraged to apply.
Ideal chefs for this opening will be “quietly confident”, able to self-manage and work in a proactive manner to anticipate the needs of the family, while having a sincere desire to make the lives of their employers easier, and more enjoyable.
Chefs who are chosen to move forward in the process will be asked to cook 2-3 “normal” days, and one dinner party for 6-10 guests, and will be paid for their time.
- Monday-Friday: (Occasional weekends and late evenings)
- Lunch and Dinner: The chef will arrive, after shopping, at around 12:00pm each day to prepare lunch for the following day, and dinner for that evening.
- Light Travel: 1-2 very short trips per year
- Start Date: ASAP
- Local Chefs Only
- Creating a variety of menus, for approval, based on the season and preferences of family members
- Prepare foods for family, friends, events
- Frequent small dinner parties for 2-10 guests
- Taking complete ownership of the kitchen, and all food related tasks
- Grocery shopping sourcing top-level products
- Responsible for keeping a clean and organized kitchen throughout the meal preparation process
- Leave healthy snacks in the refrigerator
- Prepare food for following days as needed
- Organize and manage the kitchen
- Plan and execute occasional large events-some catering experience preferred
- Chef should have a keen understanding of food/ kitchen sanitation
- Set and serve dining for daily meals, and small dinner parties
- Manage wine cellar, inventory/purchase-strong wine knowledge would be a bonus
- Able to work a flexible schedule which will change frequently, depending on the travel/entertaining schedule of the family
- Must have at least 5+ years of luxury restaurant AND at least 5+years of experience working full-time for a prominent family/individual
- Excellent English language skills, written and verbal-this is a very important requirement for the family
- Able to work legally in the United States
- Must be able to pass an in-depth background investigation
- Must have excellent, verifiable, references from past employers, be willing to sign NDA
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record-willing to use personal vehicle for work
- Must be able to willingly accommodate needs of the family
- Looking for candidates with a GREAT attitude who are able to interact in a professional and pleasant manner with the family and other on-site support staff
- Should be open to regular feedback from the family
- Must work well other in-home staff